These Enormous Children

Our disproportionate strength will help us rise up and destroy the world.

 
Enormous Friends
Will
Stuff Will Currently Likes
Mempho Links
The Hills
Monday, August 27, 2007

I don't watch The Hills. I've seen a couple of scenes from it in the 2 (3?) years it's been on. I do know very vaguely what's going on, thanks to Stop Yelling At Me and my girlfriend, who loves the show. Here's The Hills in a nutshell--at least what I can gather:
--Hot rich girls who love drama and have terrible taste in men fight amongst themselves, act like they have a job that means something, and go eat at expensive restaurants.
That's basically it, although of course oversimplified.

One thing that is a given with every show is the constant disbelief about Heidi's continued relationship with Spencer. I've never talked to anyone who actually liked Spencer. From the costars to everyone who watches the show--no one has ever liked Spencer, for good reason. He's an enormous douchebag, and to top it off, is a big a-hole. Also, he's not all that attractive, so I guess he hits the bad boyfriend trifecta. Congratulations to him I guess.

But I've found a silver lining in The Hills, even though I will probably never watch a show ever again. Maybe the purpose of The Hills is not as inane as I originally thought it to be.

Here's the thing--The Hills is exaggerated reality. The drama, the attractiveness, the douchebaggery, the money--everything is exaggerated. A lot of women I know date guys like Spencer. If one of my friends watches the show and says to herself, "Hey. Spencer does the same crap that my boyfriend does. I hate Spencer," and that little light bulb goes off in their head, then the show is worth being inane and ridiculous. Maybe the show isn't just mindless entertainment, as I originally thought it to be. Maybe the purpose of the show is to show us how ridiculous we young people can be sometimes, how we take little things and make a big deal out of them, and how we date complete wastes of life and somehow stay with them.

Or maybe I'm giving MTV too much credit.
posted by Will Askew @ 10:29 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At August 27, 2007 at 11:38 AM, Blogger Kari said…

    Way too much credit, Will. I can appreciate that you want the show to have a purpose, but it really just doesn't. To say that you oversimplified it, is just not true. Pretty people, jacking around, eating expensive food is just about right.

     
  • At August 27, 2007 at 3:57 PM, Blogger Will Askew said…

    Christy said the same thing. I believe her quote was, "They're just interested in making as much money as they can." Which is probably accurate.

     
  • At August 27, 2007 at 4:50 PM, Blogger Jenny Jackson said…

    Well, I think "douchebaggery" is one of the funniest words I've heard in a while. On the show My Boys on TBS, they say "douchey" a lot, but this is way funnier. Nicely done.

     
  • At August 27, 2007 at 5:34 PM, Blogger Will Askew said…

    It was either douchebaggery, or doucheitude. Both of which, to my knowledge, are words that I made up. I appreciate the vocab love.

     
  • At August 28, 2007 at 9:36 AM, Blogger Peter said…

    Doucheosity could also work.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Us
In August 2007, there was a tragic accident at a laboratory in Memphis, Tennessee. From the carnage emerged two enormous children with disproportionate strength and writing ability. This is their story.
Peter
Stuff Peter Currently Likes
Previous Posts
Archives